FORUM PROFILE

Covered Loans

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bmelancon

Would Attorney Client Loans for a medical/legal purpose be covered under the Military Lending Act? Also, would CD and Savings secured Loans be covered?

rcooper

I’m not exactly sure what type of attorney client transaction you’re talking about. If you can explain it further I’ll offer my opinion.

As for a CD/savings account secured loan, those are not permitted under the MLA effective October 3, 2016. See § 232.8(e):
    Title 10 U.S.C. 987 makes it unlawful for any creditor to extend consumer
    credit to a covered borrower with respect to which:
    The creditor uses a check or other method of access to a deposit, savings, or other financial account maintained by the covered borrower [as collateral], except that, in connection with a consumer credit transaction with an MAPR consistent with § 232.4(b), the creditor may:
    •Require an electronic fund transfer to repay a consumer credit transaction, unless otherwise prohibited by law;
    •Require direct deposit of the consumer’s salary as a condition of eligibility for consumer credit, unless otherwise prohibited by law; or
    •If not otherwise prohibited by applicable law, take a security interest in funds deposited after the extension of credit in an account established in connection with the consumer credit transaction.

bmelancon

Our attorney client loans are usually a 2 year single pay note for the individual with the attorney as a guarantor for the loan. Some of these loans have credit life. They are mainly for the purpose of medical or legal bills during the process of a law suit after an accident.

rcooper

The loan is consumer purpose, is subject to Reg Z, is presumably being made to a covered borrower and doesn’t meet one of the exceptions, so it would be covered under the MLA.

newbee05
    Participant

Clarification on the CD/Savings Account secured loan. If we are dealing with a covered borrower, the law prohibits the bank from extended a loan secured by a deposit account; however, the MLA does not prohibit the bank from taking a security interest in a deposit account during the term of the loan (I.e. in the event of default). Am I interpreting that correctly?

If not, will you please clarify? In either event, will you please provide a citation that I can reference?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.