Our deposit operations department reached out asking if a Tribal check drawn off of a Wells Fargo account would be considered a “State or Local Government Check”. I don’t see any mention of tribes when it discusses state and government in Reg CC. Would their check just be considered a negotiable demand draft drawn or payable through or at an office of a bank”?
Reg CC Definition References:
(k) Check means –
(1) A negotiable demand draft drawn on or payable through or at an office of a bank;
(2) A negotiable demand draft drawn on a Federal Reserve Bank or a Federal Home Loan Bank;
(3) A negotiable demand draft drawn on the Treasury of the United States;
(4) A demand draft drawn on a state government or unit of general local government that is not payable through or at a bank;
(5) A United States Postal Service money order; or
(6) A traveler’s check drawn on or payable through or at a bank.
(7) The term check includes an original check and a substitute check.
(jj) United States means the states, including the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
(kk) Unit of general local government means any city, county, parish, town, township, village, or other general purpose political subdivision of a state. The term does not include special purpose units of government, such as school districts or water districts.
This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by aschliebe.