FORUM PROFILE

Primary Residence in Commercial Property -TRID

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

It is my understanding that if any part of the property being financed will be used for the borrower’s primary residence, then TRID applies. This is causing us a lot of trouble–especially with the appraisals. We have had two such loans where the property being purchased required a commercial appraisal. This generally requires bids, and it is hard to comply with the 3 day disclosure requirements (with accuracy). I know the TRID determination flow chart you provided the group starts off with determining whether Reg Z applies. In both cases I would say the transaction IS “primarily” for business, commercial or agricultural; based on revenue stream and/or potential rental income. Can that trump the fact that 10% of the property will be used for the primary residence of the borrower(s)? Would it make a difference if it were 45% used for residence? The borrower will be a natural person.

kowsley

In order to determine if TRID applies, we first have to determine if Reg. Z applies. As you mentioned in the Reg. Z flowchart, if a transaction is primarily business, commercial, or ag. purpose then the transaction is not covered by Reg. Z. That determination is sometimes a fine line; however, you stated that based on revenue stream and/or potential rental income the transactions were primarily for business, comm., ag. purpose; therefore, Reg. Z would not apply and TRID would not apply. There is no specific percentage requirement in the regulation; however, “primarily” typically means greater than 50%. You have to walk through the Reg. Z coverage rules first before you move on to whether or not you have a TRID transaction.

Of course, TRID applies any time you have closed-end consumer transaction secured by real property which can sometimes mean there is no residence involved. It could just be a closed-end consumer credit transaction secured by land. Key is to walk through Reg. Z flowchart first, then the TRID flowchart. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.