Flood insurance on two properties attached by stairs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #36110

    A covered stairway connects two single-family dwellings with one owner on one deed located in a positive flood zone. Would this require one flood policy or two flood policies? What is the maximum amount of flood coverage required?

    FEMA general rules page 4 (link:
    Additions and Extensions: The NFIP insures additions and extensions attached to and in contact with the building by means of a rigid exterior wall, a solid load-bearing interior wall, a stairway, an elevated walkway, or a roof.


    Correction, with additional pictures, the two buildings are not connected by stairs, but the balcony of structure two is connected by four wood posts for support.


    I suspect that you have two separate dwellings. You will need a policy on each dwelling. Your agent should be able to confirm after reviewing pictures of the buildings.

    FEMA’s maximum amount of coverage is $250,000 for each residential structure, or a total of $500,000 in this case.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.