FORUM PROFILE

Flood insurance on old barn

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kathy
    Participant

Collateral on the loan is a ranch. A couple of the buildings on the farmstead portion of the property are in a flood zone, including a house and an old barn. The barn is not used for personal family or household purposes. According to the borrower it’s not used at all, isn’t worth anything, and should be torn down but he just hasn’t gotten around to it yet.
    I do believe this building needs to have flood insurance on it (or he needs to knock it down). I am trying to decide what the amount of coverage to suggest to the lender. Demolition cost? What would you suggest?

kmeade
    Participant

Following

Kathy
    Participant

Bump

rcooper

I agree – if the building is there you’ll need flood insurance. And based on the situation you have described demolition value sounds reasonable.

I recommend reading through Q&A 9 from 2011 and Q&A Amount 2 proposed 2020 (both linked below) that might help you decide on what approach you’d like to take to make sure you’re using the correct insurable value. Here’s what to consider…. In 2009 there was a proposed Q&A 10 that specifially discussed using demolition value or functional building cost on certain non-residential properties. That proposed Q&A, and any specific mention of demolition value, was elimiated in 2011 and somewhat enveloped into Q&A 9 of the 2011 Q&A which says you can use any reasonable approach that can be supported:

in calculating the required amount of
    insurance, the lender and borrower
    (either by themselves or in consultation
    with the flood insurance provider or
    other appropriate professional) may
    choose from a variety of approaches or
    methods to establish a reasonable
    valuation. They may use an appraisal
    based on a cost-value (not market-value)
    approach, a construction-cost
    calculation, the insurable value used in
    a hazard insurance policy (recognizing
    that the insurable value for flood
    insurance purposes may differ from the
    coverage provided by the hazard
    insurance and that adjustments may be
    necessary; for example, most hazard
    policies do not cover foundations), or
    any other reasonable approach, so long
    as it can be supported.

2011 Q&A: See 2011 Interagency Q&A, specifically 64177-78. The agencies said the discussion of using demolition value in Q&A 10 (2009) was unnecessary because Q&A 9 (2011) said you can use any reasonable approach that can be supported.

2020 Proposed Revisions to Q&As: The agencies have proposed revisions to the Q&As as well, but there is not change to the substance of Q&A 9 (from 2011), but it proposed to be renumber as “Amount 2”. You can still use any reasonable approach that can be supported.

Let us know if you need more information.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.