Altered Check Claim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #6504

    We had a customer that tried to place a stop payment on a check two days after it posted. When we told her we couldn’t do that, she came back the next day and said she wanted to return it as “amount altered.” We don’t believe the check amount was altered. The previous day she said her company owed this man/company money, and the owner had come to her office and caused a scene. In her distress, she wrote the check for the wrong amount, as she included two invoices she had already paid. We are sympathetic to her issue, but don’t feel the payee altered the check amount.

    Short of calling her a liar, do we proceed with her claim? I am not seeing anything in the UCC that keeps us from processing this. I don’t want to be liable if the payee has already spent the funds.


    Hi tstrait,
    Compliance Resource focuses on federal laws and regulations. Since this is a state law issue, we recommend you contact your state bankers association for assistance.
    Thank you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.